Re layout of Kitting line realising cost efficiencies
Sector: Service Industry. Hi Tech Repair provider
Facing ever increased challenges to cut costs and improve efficiencies our client’s brief was to identify operational cost savings using Lean processes. At an early stage it was established that re designing the kitting area would realise efficiencies in head count and space. Over a 2 month period the projects was established and lead to re-site the kitting production area into a smaller foot print, establish a one piece flow line for high volume production and establish lean practices for continuous improvement.
The project was implemented to schedule, to budget and with no impact to Operational activity. Within a few days of implementation improvements exceeding the target of $360k savings per year were beginning to be realised.
- USD 360,000 saved on resource.
- High Volume One piece flow lines increased throughput with decreased head count.
- 5000 units per day possible in one shift instead of 2 shifts
- Kanban process set up for packaging and C Parts increasing pick efficiencies and reducing drastically unplanned shortages
- 5S implemented improving a nice place to work culture.
- Everything has its place and un needed clutter removed from work cells.
- Smaller production footprint realised space savings for other activities
Other Case Studies:Consultant: "Gain back control of logistics activities" Redesign and re quote of packaging realising cost efficiencies